Sunday, March 27, 2011

My Early Life

I was born on February 12th 1809. My parent couldn't read or write. There were 17 states when I was born. I used to fish a lot for fun. I went to a "blab" school. We would say our lessons out loud so we could memorize the lessons. When I did not have to do much in the kitchen my sister and I used to walk many miles to get to school. School wasn't mandatory in my times. Learning was challenging for me. Once I get a hold of a word and memorize it I remember it forever. My father, Thomas Lincoln, disliked slavery. We always moved to places where there were no slaves. I was skinny but good with the ax. One winter my mom got very sick. Her last words were be good and kind to your father and each other and the world. Then she died. Me and my sister were devastated. About a year later my dad married a lady named Sally, a widow with 3 children of her own. We all lived in a cabin. The house was crowded but we were happy. Sally also didn't know how to read or write but always encouraged me for my love of learning. There were 2 people that inspired me as a child. George Washington and Benjamin Franklin. George Washington was the 1st president and he was the commander in chief of the continental army during the American Revolution. What inspired me about Benjamin Franklin is that he also as a boy started out poor but through his talent and hard work became an important inventor and statesman.

No comments:

Post a Comment